“TWO Bird Experiences and Education Ltd is a company built on friendship, dedication and a passion for birds. Me and James met in 2012 at the Hawk Conservancy Trust. It was here I held my first hawk and fell in love with birds of prey and James charmed the crowds with his dad jokes and infectious smile! James worked his way up the ranks to become head of top section, looking after the larger vultures and eagles, while I built up my confidence working at the International Centre for Birds of Prey.
Several years later we met again when I returned to the Hawk Conservancy and James was only too happy to show me the ropes (plus the odd prank or two!). One year later the tables turned when we both joined the Education and Presentations team at Birdworld, this time with me calling the shots! This was an amazing experience and gave us both a fascinating insight into the behaviour of non-raptor species, from Kookaburras and Seriemas, to Pelicans and Penguins!
We realised pretty early on that we worked very well together, and so, before fate or chance bumped us into each other again, we decided we would make it permanent and thus the company was born! The birds were thrust from the calm of our back gardens into the spotlight of River Bourne and are doing wonderfully! We are so excited to have joined forces with the farm, a place equally committed to bringing the joy of nature to everyone who steps through the kissing gate, and educating them on how best to protect it.
It has been a crazy ride since we arrived in January 2019, filled with mountains of paperwork, blood, sweat, tears, a good sprinkling of snow, the hottest day in UK history so far and an awful lot of bird poop!”
“We are both very lucky to have families who have supported us from a very young age to follow our dreams and who have always believed in us. Even when three year old Emmy was being butted over by deer at the New Forest Otter and Owl centre and tiny Jim was protecting his mini cheddars from the donkeys!
There were three very special people who did not make it to see us achieve our dreams and who are now represented in our logo- my Grandad Allan and my Grandpa Eric- two wise and truly amazing people; and Grandad Tony, James’ inspiration and hero.”
A cheeky chappie, an adventurer, ZE G!
“Grandad was a flight engineer for British airways and captain of “Rene D”, his Sailboat and pride and joy. Grandad travelled the world and always had the perfect story for every situation. He taught me the importance of hard work and that people will always get what they deserve. A true family man, he was always there if you needed him.”
An artist, a jazz man, a true gentleman.
“Grandpa spent his career as a bank manager and is the only man I have ever met who felt a tweed suit was suitable for every occasion! Grandpa was a jazz drummer and came to life when he rocked throughout the night, with grandma dancing by his side. In his spare time he was a fantastic artist and photographer. Grandpa taught me to enjoy every moment and to appreciate what you have, treasure those around you. A hopeless romantic.”
Fisherman, friend, family man.
“Grundie spent the majority of his career working for the forestry commission; managing the land, looking after the trees and maintaining the hedgerows and the wildlife that lived within them. This love of nature followed him home where a huge array of animals from chickens and goats, to ferrets and Piranhas lived in his “personal zoo”! Grundie not just gave me my love of wildlife but my love of the outdoors. He fished every day he wasn’t working and kept shelves upon shelves of rods and flys in a “grundie cave” in the garden. He would do anything for anyone, he was the kindest of souls and everybody’s friend.”
- We aim to share our passion for nature and give the people we work with a greater understanding and appreciation of birds and the habitats they live in, as well as their importance and the need to preserve them.
- We aim to use our team of raptors and other exotics to separate people from the stress of daily life and reconnect them with nature.
- We aim to encourage our visitors to look around and get excited about the abundance of wildlife and that join us here at River Bourne. The bird team are on show daily a stone’s throw away from the beautiful Laverstock water meadows and just next door to the historic cathedral city of Salisbury.
- We aim to give every guest a truly unforgettable, up close and personal experience, one they will treasure for years to come.
- We aim to provide the very highest levels of management and welfare and to challenge the perceptions and stigmas surrounding modern falconry and birdkeeping.
- We aim to keep the fascinating history of falconry alive through educational lectures, workshops, flying demonstrations and experiences.
- We aim to approach both bird and business management with innovative and creative thinking.
- We aim to provide a supportive and fun working environment and constantly develop our employees and volunteers.